Sunday, August 16, 2009

I came across the following in this morning's New York Times Magazine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/magazine/16FOB-wwln-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine

This is something that I have discussed in secret with a few chosen people and never, never in public. Oddly enough, when I was at the doctor's office the other day, my doctor brought up the same thing. He just came out with it. I was at a rehab clinic for some PT-type work on my foot so that I can start running again and, completely off topic, he started a conversation about how he often gets asked what his solution is for the whole health care mess we are in. So I obliged and asked, "So, what is your solution to the health care problem?" "A fat tax," he said, "and a fine on those, like McDonalds, that promote unhealthy eating." In recanting this story to a co-worker, who knows the doctor, she asked if just came out with it...just like that... a fat tax.

Needless to say, with these two occurences this week, I feel like I can speak my mind in public now. I, too, believe that there ought to be some sort of tax on those that are, uh, taxing, our health care system. Or look at it this way, I eat healthily, I run, I do yoga so I am in fairly good shape. Why should I pay just as much for my health care as someone who is invariably going to end up with problems in the future due to the excess weight they are carrying?

No comments:

Post a Comment