Tuesday, August 11, 2009

This is it - my first post.

I was walking in my neighborhood the other night, and I saw this sign in someone's yard. I thought it was terrific. What a great way to green up the neighborhood and offer up some of the best stuff of summer - tomatoes! Mother Nature's perfect fast food.

I have been obsessed lately with food - real food. I confess that I've jumped on the Michael Pollan bandwagon. I read Omnivore's Dilemma and, though I knew some of what went on in our food industry, became horrified at what is being sold in this country as food. So now I am trying to quit processed food completely. I have a few things, like white rice and white flour, that will take me awhile to not use, but for the most part, I'm done with the whole fast food/processed food industry. Truthfully, it wasn't that hard. I've been migrating away from that stuff for years and taking up cooking four or five years ago has definitely helped. I even turned down a work provided lunch of pizza today. My leftovers from last night, grilled salmon burgers with a chipotle mayonnaise, were much tastier. I think originally my coworkers thought I was crazy, but I now have one convinced enough that she is going to try eating no processed food for a week. We will see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment